Microsoft released the first update for Visual Studio 2012 yesterday (26th of November, 2012). It’s an early. Visual Studio 2012 released in September and it’s about after two month that they have release the Update. Nevertheless the Update seems really great and fixed many of the bugs in Visual Studio 2012. Specially, they have improved the Unit testing in Visual Studio 2012. I’ve seen most of the users are unhappy with the new UI of the Visual Studio. Most of them had submitted their ideas saying add more colors to the UI etc. through Connect and UserVoice websites. However, the UI remain unchanged in the Update 1. Hopefully, their second update will address it
You can see what’s new in Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 from their official page,
You can download it from the below link
For offline installation, you can follow the below steps
- Download the installer from the above link.
- Open command prompt by typing ‘cmd’ in Run (CTRL+R).
- Go the directory where you downloaded the installer.
- Type ‘vsupdate_KB2707250.exe /layout’ and press Enter key.
- Now this will launch the installer with a option where you can specify the download directory (Otherwise it will download the update to a temporary directory).
- Specify the download location and click ‘Download’
- Now the installer will download the relevant files to the download location (To a folder called ‘packages’) and install it from there.
- Later, you can go to the download folder and get the offline version of the Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 from there.
If you need to install it, just copy and paste the ‘packages’ folder along with the installation file to the offline machine. Make sure you have the installation file in the same directory as ‘packages’. Just double click on the installation file and now it will install the Update from the downloaded ‘packages’ folder instead of downloading it over the internet.
Finally, after you install it, you can see whether Update 1 has been correctly installed or not by going to the Visual Studio and click Help –> About. In the dialog box, you can see on the top left hand side, the version is listed as Version 11.0.51106.01 Update1 if the Update 1 has been successfully installed.
The Update will work for every edition of Visual Studio 2012 (Express, Premium, Ultimate, Professional)
Great job VS team and thank you!